Friday, March 10, 2006

Self Respect

Okay, so either no one reads this blog or I have a lot of shy visitors because after last week's request for advice I got only ONE comment! I'm okay with this because I know deep down in my heart I am not using this blog as a popularity contest....but I will admit that there was a moment when I was feeling pretty lame and unloved. I'm okay now.

Anyways, maybe it's not the right time to go about a blogging change. I should probably start working on my crafty to do list before I take on such a big project. And speaking of big projects, I thought that I'd share my newest creation with you.

I am crotcheting a basket out of 24 gauge copper wire. So far I'm pleased with the way that it looks but I'm reaching a point that will require me to increase stitches and I'm not quite sure how I'll do that. I guess I'll have to see what happens.
I got this idea from a local Bay Area artist named Ruth Asawa who made hundreds of these amazing wire sculptures. They are really so simple and organic, but I find them to be really moving. They remind me of jellyfish or being underwater. I don't know if I'll ever be able to acheive the same feeling that Ruth has, but this is still only my first attempt.

3 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I'm glad to hear good, old Ruth is still kickin' around. I met her waaaaay back in high school. Went to SF School of the Arts. My discipline was percussion but had to take other courses outside of my discipline, such as ceramics. Long story short, she was teaching a sculpture class my friend was in, dropped in and just listened. Amazing woman, kind, wizened face but most impressive were her hands. Simply beautiful. No use saying hello to her from me, she won't remember me. But she definitely made a big impression on the blank slate that was my mind at the time. I'm still a fan of her work. C U tomorrow.

-Faust

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny, I know it's lame but a lot of times I do feel shy about commenting on blogs. But I do enjoy checking in and seeing what you're up to.

I love the copper wire basket! It never occurred to me that it was possible to crochet with wire.

BTW I've been happy with Typepad so far, but I really don't have much experience with other providers.

Take care!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Alexa said...

My apologies for my lack of commenting, but I have been reading. Promise!

Props to you for making something out of wire, that has probably got to be one heck of a project. I can barely handle pipecleaners, so points to you for this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home