Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ditching school for the museum

Today I partially ditched school to go to the newly opened DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate park. I say partially because I was on a field trip for the first 40 minutes, but then I just didn't ever go back to school and I decided to stay and look around. It was worth it for many reasons but most of all because I'm just not that into school right now.

My Art History class went to the museum to see the Queen Hatshepsut exhibit that's there and it was pretty good. I was alot more interested in it since we've been studying Egyptian art, and I guess that was the whole point. After I was done there I explored the museum on my own and I took a picture of my favorite thing



I couldn't use the flash, so you'll have to forgive the quality. And of course I can't remember the artist's last name...but her first name is Ruth and she's from the Bay Area. She made these sculptures years ago by crocheting wire and working downward. I first saw them on a PBS special and I've been dying to see them in person. They have this really beautiful fluid quality to them that reminds me of jellyfish. Here's a close up of one of them



After I was done at the museum I continued my adventure by going to a fabric store that I've been wanting to visit called Satin Moon. I think I'm going to try and sew some Xmas gifts this year if I ever find time and I was happy to find some fabrics to inspire me. One is for an adult gift, and the monkey fabric is for a baby gift. I also got some bamboo purse handles so that I can make a project bag.



I can't wait to get started on this stuff, maybe after I finish a couple of the papers I've got to write....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home