Tuesday, March 21, 2006

So So Sewing

Lately I've really been into making things and I've also realized that knitting can't fulfill all of my crafty visions. I got a sewing machine for Christmas from Matt's Nana Fumi and I finally pulled it out of the box for the first time last Thursday. I devoted a whole day to learning how to use my new machine and making a little project and although my sewing technique is a little sub-par, I'm pretty pleased with the way my project turned out.

This is the inside of the bag.


And today I made this



Both bags are made with old sweaters that I bought or had and then felted in the washing machine. The fabric on the inside has been hanging out in my craft bin for a couple of years just waiting to be used, and it's from a trip to Ikea. I did a little bit of embroidery on the fronts to make them more interesting but overall they're pretty simple. I think that the hardest part for me is sewing in the zipper and aligning the lining and everything so that they look okay. I tried a different method with each bag but both ways took me forever, so I'm going to keep working on the design and hopefully I'll figure out a way to make them a little faster and with better sewing. But first I'm going to order some cute fabric online and try making something that doesn't involve such thick fabric. I can't wait until I've got things all figured out and I can make a quilt from my Denyse Schmidt book, but for now I'll have to be patient and start small.

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Very cute bags indeed. I am always impressed by people who sew. Laura tried to teach me once and I think I ended up in tears. Of course my first knitting experience was equally bad and now I am a knitting fool!

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Christabel said...

They are just gorgeous.
Very impressed by your budding sewing skills; I can't sew for the life of me.
Nice work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home